Weight loss is for life, not just for Summer

Hi, welcome to my blog. My name is Éabha and I am 23 years old. For as long as I can remember I have been overweight. This blog is all about my weight loss journey, both the highs and lows. I hope that it will keep me motivated and inspire others who are in the same situation as me.

Wednesday 27 March 2013

Hangover Foods

Whether it is a long weekend or just an average Saturday night, alcohol and hangovers can be a Weight Watcher's worst nightmare. I have posted a blog with all the alcohol propoints so I decided to go one step further and point typical hangover foods. Most people reach for the greasy fry-up or Dominos pizza. With good planning, your hangover meal does not have to blow your points budget.

My favourite meal is Chicken Carbonara. I have loads of great homemade recipes but when I am hungover I just use the Dolmios Express Carbonara sauce which is 5pps per individual sachet.
I sautee an onion in a knob of flora light (1pp) and then add 100g lean chicken breast (3pps). Pour the sauce into the pan when the chicken is cooked and heat until piping hot. Boil 40g wholewheat pasta. To serve, sprinkle 30g of Superquinn Mozarella (2pps) on top to make a delicious dish for 14pps. This may seem like a lot but at the weekends I tend to only eat two meals because I get up later. If you have extra points to spare, I find adding lean rashers add to the flavour and increases your protein intake, all for an extra 2pps.


Dominos is the hangover food of choice for many of my friends. If they opened earlier on Sundays, I'm sure they would do great business! I have actually never been the biggest fan of Dominos and since seeing the points for them, I won't be any time soon. A personal pizza averages 15/16pps while a slice of a large pizza averages 5pps. If you would rather a store bought pizza, Ristorante Hawaii pizza is only 10pps for half a pizza or 21pps for the whole lot. You can bulk it up with lots of zero point salad or even roasted veg.

When people hear the word 'fry' they automatically think high cholesterol and greasy frying pans. You can have a healthy fry for half the points by simply substituting for lower pointed products and cooking differently. Grilling is the healthiest option but you should not shy away from frying in healthy oils. Extra virgin olive oil or coconut oils  I can be high in proportion to the amount used but they are healthy fats and can add taste to your cooking.

Here is a list of typical 'fry' foods with their propoints. Do not forget you have your 49 weeklies so do not be  afraid to dip into them.

Brennans Wholewheat Bread x2 4pps
Flora Light 10g 1pp
Ballyfree Turkey Sausages x2 4pps (grilled) or Superquinn Reduced Fat Sausages x2 5pps
Lean Bacon Medallions x2 3pps (grilled)
Grilled Tomato and Mushrooms 0pp
Scrambled Eggs (1 medium egg and 1 egg white) cooked in Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2pps for egg, 3pps for oil
Smoked Salmon 50g 2pps

As you can see, having a hangover meal does not mean you have to eliminate your entire weeklies. Planning is essential. If you know you are going out and you are prone to hangover cravings, then plan and point in advance. By doing this, you are more likely to stick to a healthier option.

P.S Do not forget...water, water and more water!



No comments:

Post a Comment